Summer is fast approaching, and one of the best ways to explore is to take a road trip! Planning the perfect trip can be an exciting and daunting task, but with some preparation and useful tips, you can make your summer road trip an unforgettable experience.
The Benefits of a Road Trip
A road trip is an excellent way to explore a new region or country, and the Southwest US is no exception!
One of the best things about hitting the road is that you can create your own adventure – you can stop wherever and whenever you want and discover hidden gems you might have otherwise missed. This is especially true in the Southwest.
Plus, road trips are a great way to bond with family or friends and create unforgettable memories.
How To Plan a Road Trip
Planning a road trip requires a bit of research and preparation. Here are some essential steps to consider when planning your perfect Southwest US road trip:
- Choose your destination: The Southwest has a plethora of must-see destinations. Pick the places that speak to your heart and make your own unique itinerary.
- Decide how long you want your adventure to last: Remember that some destinations might take more time to explore than others, so plan accordingly.
- Plan your route: Use a map or a route planner to map out your journey based on the destination you want to visit and your available time.
- Book your accommodations: Booking in advance is a great idea, especially during peak season, so you don’t have to worry about finding a place to stay. Check out hotels or campsites in the area you plan to visit, and don’t forget to make reservations in advance.
Southwest Sites to See
The Southwest is home to some of the world’s most iconic and awe-inspiring natural wonders! Here are some must-see sites to add to your road trip itinerary:
Monument Valley is a beautiful site located on the Arizona-Utah border. The tribal park features a 17-mile driving loop, and its more secluded location helps create a peaceful experience compared to similar sites.
The Grand Canyon is one of the most visited national parks in the United States. It offers breathtaking views and a chance to explore the rugged beauty of the Southwest.
Zion National Park is located in Utah and is known for its stunning red rock formations and waterfalls. The park also offers hiking, rock climbing and horseback riding.
Bryce Canyon is known for its unique rock formations, including famous hoodoos. The park offers hiking trails, horseback riding, and stargazing.
Arches National Park is located in Moab, Utah. This park is home to over 2,000 natural sandstone arches, as well as a variety of other geological formations and hiking trails.
If you’re planning to visit both Monument Valley and Arches National Park, Goulding’s Lodge has partnered with Red Tail Air Adventures – a private plane charter – to take guests from Moab to Monument Valley in under 60 minutes (instead of a 2+ hour drive).
This is Monument Valley’s first flight tour experience. Day trips or overnight stays are available. If this sounds right up your alley, contact Goulding’s Lodge for more information.
Road Trip Essentials
Here are some road trip must-haves to make your Southwest road trip a success:
- Navigation tools: Make sure you have a GPS device, map, or route planner to help you find your way.
- Snacks and drinks: Bring plenty of snacks and drinks for the road, like trail mix, granola bars, fruit, and water to help keep you energized and hydrated.
- First aid kit: Pack a basic kit with bandages, antiseptic wipes, pain relievers, and any necessary prescription medications.
- Entertainment: Long hours on the road can get boring, so bring along some entertainment like music, audiobooks, or games to keep you and your travel companions entertained.
- Emergency kit: Pack an emergency kit with essentials like a flashlight, spare tire, jumper cables, and a roadside assistance kit.
- Camera: Don’t forget to bring a camera or a smartphone to capture all the beautiful scenery and memories from your road trip.
A Road Trip Must-Stop
A road trip is an exciting way to explore and discover new places in the Southwest. And, if you’re planning to visit Monument Valley, book your stay at Goulding’s Lodge, which offers comfortable accommodations and stunning views of the surrounding red rock formations.
The lodge also offers a variety of activities, including guided tours and cultural experiences, making it the perfect base for exploring Monument Valley and the surrounding area.
Now is the perfect time to begin planning your perfect Southwest road trip and create unforgettable memories you’ll cherish for years to come.